When I started eating gluten free and dairy free one of the things I missed most was Grilled Cheese. It took me a while to figure out how to replicate a grilled cheese sandwich without gluten or dairy but I finally found a method that worked for me! The main hurdle was finding vegan cheese that tasted good and melted properly so I’ve used a combination of cheeses and melting methods here to get my grilled cheese sandwich to turn out perfectly. I’m sharing my secret for the perfect gluten free and vegan grilled cheese – test it out and let me know what you think!
You will need:
Vegan buttery spread of choice – I use Melt or Earth Balance
2 slices GF Bread of choice – I used Little Northern Bakehouse Seeds & Grains bread
2 slices Follow Your Heart American Style Slices
1/4 cup Miyoko’s Vegan Mozz (optional)
- Line a cookie sheet or other small metal pan with foil
- Spread buttery spread on one side of each piece of bread
- Place bread on foil lined tray with buttered side down
- Put 1 American Style slice on each piece of bread
- Broil on high for 2-3 minutes until cheese begins to melt
- Add crumbled Miyoko’s mozzarella if desired and broil another 1-2 minutes
- Remove from oven, press 2 halves together to form sandwich
- Place in pan on stovetop over medium heat
- Cook for 2-3 minutes each side until desired level of browning is reached
If your bread is frozen let it thaw or toast it for a minute to bring it to room temperature.
The Miyoko’s mozzarella is not necessary(I usually just use the American slices) but if you want an extra cheesy grilled cheese it’s awesome to add. Other things you can add are salt, pepper, garlic powder, etc.
This is great on its own or served with a bowl of tomato soup 🙂